October 23, 2009

I have to say that some days I don't like getting up in the morning for substitute teaching. It's a bit stressful showing up in a room with students I don't know, with procedures I haven't seen before, with lesson plans that may or may not be complete. In a couple of the schools I have been enough times already that most of the students I encounter in a classroom have met me before, which does make things a little easier. This week hasn't been the best for me on the personal front. Basically, I got dumped and so wasn't feeling super cheerful. Not cheerful enough for 3rd graders anyways but it turned out otherwise. I was with the same class Tuesday and Wednesday. I got the great news Tuesday night, so didn't sleep very well and was not looking forward to a day at a school without knowing whether I'd have a solid lesson plan in front of me or not. The kids were lovely, though, on Tuesday. I really enjoyed their company and even though I felt like crying most of the day on Wednesday, being around them really helped. I don't know if it's those specific kids, or if it's that age group but I had such a fantastic day with them that I came out of school that day feeling refreshed instead of down, and went straight to a movie theater to see one of the most depressing and humbling documentaries I have ever seen.
"The Cove" was finishing its run at our local Landmark theater, and I really wanted to see it on the big screen. It's a well crafted documentary that never loses its grip on the message and the ending is so numbingly horrific that it leaves you with no options but to seriously consider your personal attitudes on the issue and how you'd like to lead your life now that you have seen the effects of human arrogance and cruelty.
It really doesn't help that I'm working at a sushi restaurant right now and really can't quit the job because I do need the cash. I am thinking of asking today where the restaurant gets its fish for my own knowledge and in case any of the customers that want to get educated ask me as well.

It's gray and rainy in Milwaukee, but I have discovered a great coffee shop in my neighborhood and though it's not exactly walking distance from my place, I do see myself coming back. It's not a new company to me. Anodyne is a long time staple in coffee shops of Milwaukee and this new location in Bay View rocks. It's open and bright; it's got wonderful wood tables and chairs; it's got lots of outlets for surfers; it's got comfy looking leather chairs by windows and of course, it's got the most important thing--tasty coffee. So a couple of hours before I need to get ready for my restaurant shift, I'm getting cafeeined up and hoping that a headache I've developed this morning goes away before then. Not sure if it's dehydration related or something else. Maybe I slept too long today. Or maybe it's my thoughts that have been getting me down and me trying very hard to think of something else that's creating the headache pressure.

I'm getting a new bed tomorrow and internet service on Monday, so my apartment is nearly all set up and I'm finally starting to feel like it's my place, though I'm still getting used to all the sounds that are associated with living in a poorly insulated apartment building. The people upstairs from me seem to walk around a lot and everyone seems to need to take the elevator which is next to my apartment even though there are only three floors in this building. >.<

Ok, enough complaining. :)
best
-e

No comments:

Post a Comment